Thursday, October 6, 2011

My Newest (re-) publication

So, a few months back (February-March) I got an unexpected request from an unexpected source. The folks at Gale Publishing (aka Cengage Learning) wanted permission to reprint my essay, "A Kind of Elvish Craft: Tolkien as Literary Craftsman", which I'd originally written as my 2007 Blackwelder lecture at Marquette and then, to my great delight, had published as the lead article in TOLKIEN STUDIES (Vol. VI [2009]). Gale are famous for printing small editions of library-only books, long series about authors, and the like. My piece appears in TWENTIETH CENTURY LITERATURE CRITICISM, Vol. 258. *

Or so I'm told. I haven't had a chance to check for myself, since my contributor's copy hasn't arrived. So, if you find yourself in a library which carries the series and happen to notice whether this new volume is on the shelves yet, let me know. Suzzallo-Allen, based on their online catalogue, seem to have most of the set but not the newer volumes yet.

But, in any case, thought I'd share. Woo-hoo.

--JDR


...................................
*Here's a link that gives an idea of what a typical volume in the series is like:



--JDR

1 comment:

anarchist said...

Hi,

Apologies for the off-topic comment, but I couldn't find a contact email for you.

I've recently put out an ebook of my writing, called 'The New Death and others'. It includes a verse adaptation of Lord Dunsany's 'Charon'. I've also written similar adaptations of stories by Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E Howard, and HP Lovecraft.

I was wondering if you'd be interested in doing a review on your blog.

If so, please let me know your email, and what file format is easiest for you, and I'll send you a free copy. You can email me (news@apolitical.info) or reply to this thread.

You can download samples from the ebook's pages on Amazon and Smashwords:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Q8Q8DY (kindle only)

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/92126 (variety of formats including plain text and pdf)

I'll also link to your review from my blog.

Yours,
James.