Monday, April 16, 2007

Online Chat

Today for the first time in a long time I took part in an online chat, hosted by a Tolkien-centric site as part of their celebration marking the release tomorrow of JRRT's THE CHILDREN OF HURIN. Despite a moment of panic when I thought I wouldn't be able to log on, it seems to have gone fairly well; it was a nice group of folks with some pertinent questions. I hope I was coherent in my replies; the mid-chat discovery that trying to type in a parenthesis deleted the whole sentence threw me a bit. Still, it was an enjoyable interlude, and utterly unlike proofing galleys, to which I returned once it was over. We may be able to do another one once my book is out; we'll see.

And in contrast with the internationalism of the online chat (where my worst problem was figuring out the time-zone differences on the schedule), tomorrow night brings a (more or less) local event: a group reading of THE CHILDREN OF HURIN at the University of Washington Bookstore's Bellevue branch (990 102nd Ave. NE), starting at 7 o'clock. We plan to attend, get a first glimpse of the new Tolkien, and maybe sign up to be among the volunteer readers. Here's hoping we see some familiar faces there.


current reading: SAVING MONTICELLO by Marc Leepson, THE CHINESE PARROT by Earl Derr Biggers.

No comments: